Tuesday, September 2, 2008

A Tribute to my Dad


Tomorrow (September 3) we leave on our big adventure to the West Coast and back. Today was a day filled with last minute projects at the office and at home that needed to be done. It was also a time to stop at the cemetery...today was Dad's birthday.

Dad was a traveler. He seemed to know every highway and exit without consulting a map. His travels had carried him far and wide, and through his work he carried us. He always provided more than we needed - we were never in want that I can remember, although my older (much older) sisters might argue with me.

As I stood by his grave today with a lump in my throat the size of an apple, Melinda speculated that right now Dad and her Mother were arguing in Heaven - her Mom saying that we shouldn't be going on such a dangerous trip on a motorcycle, and Dad arguing that adventures are important in life and not to worry - they'll be OK.

Dad's right. Regardless of what happens on this trip or in life, we will be OK. I can thank my parents for a faith that sustains me and my family. It truly is "well with my soul".

So Dad...Happy Birthday and always know that you are loved, respected, and missed.

Your son,

Stephen

Posted by Picasa

No comments: